Amazon Ad - Running

Friday, March 18, 2011

Irish Soda Bread with added Guinness

For St Patrick's day, late the night before I made a Irish Soda Bread with added Guinness.

Irish Soda Bread

This was not based on a family recipe handed over the generations (cooking skills must have skipped a generation) but from Nigella Lawson's television programme (links to a video of recipe). I have used this recipe to make the oaten rolls and a loaf before making a few tweaks each time but this was the best so far.

Here is a link to the a description of the recipe although is twice the amount used in the video and what I use.

Making the loaf version requires longer to cook about 20-30 minutes, if not it is not cooked all the way through despite looking cooked on the outside. I use a silicone loaf "tin" to cook these in which makes it a lot easier to make and get out in one piece.

The changes I made to the above recipe was to not add salt and put only 1/2 to 3/4 tablespoon of baking soda, just for taste. Instead of the butter milk or runny yoghurt I used a regular yoghurt (with prebotic and probotic bits). If I had more time I could have left the Guinness a bit longer to lose some more of its fizz, however the other half a pint of Guinness went to the chef :-)

The additions I made to the above included some fruit which was a handful each of cranberries and raisins plus a mashed up banana. To this I added a scoop of vanilla protein powder and a dash of HP Guinness brown sauce. As this looked a bit runny, I added some more flour and oats (roughly the same ratio as the recipe) but done by eye and not measuring, until it got to the right consistency as mentioned in the recipe video.

Not only does this have some carbohydrates and fat but also fibre, protein, calcium, sodium, potassium, various Vitamins, Guinness and some prebotic nutrients. So this was quite nutritious for me.

On St Patrick's day I cut it up in to about an inch thick slices which I got 9 out of the loaf, I then warmed it up in the microwave and ate the whole lot in 30 minutes followed by a pint a Guinness it was grand, slainte.

No comments: