Amazon Ad - Running

Friday, May 08, 2009

Started to Cycle again

At the weekend I started to up more cycling to double figure mileage on my racing bike. I decided to do a few laps of the cycle route of my first triathlon of the year.

As there was a major road to cross I decided to drive over to a village and then cycle the lap from there. Only when I got there I realised that I had left the two drinks bottles on the table back at my parents!!

I had luckily taken some other drinks with me so I had a sports drink which fitted losly in the drinks cage so I had to be extra careful when cycling on the country lanes not to drop the drinks bottle as could quite easily damage my bike.
Due to this and the poor weather I only did 1 lap (12 miles / 20 km) although I had earlier completed a timed 5km run.


The following day I decided that I would cycle further and started from my parents. The start and end 3 miles (5km) were really easy as I was cycling that section with my mum.

I completed 2 laps of the course (24 miles / 40 km) but I had a mixture of training. The first 1 1/2 laps I did it fast which I was pleased with as I only had my GPS device the two other cycle gadgets are not yet working. I was using the aero bars which I felt comfortable doing which my core muscles were good due to the other training I have been doing.

We then stopped at a new cafe on the route to try it which was good research although I will have to go past it twice in the race!!


I then did some hill reps with 1 1/2 reps up a long hill and then about 5 reps at a shorter but steeper hill. On the last rep up the hill I then did some speedwork for about 3/4 mile (1 km) which was good to practice near the end of my ride.



Overall this ride was 33 miles (53 km) and took about 2 1/2 hours. I was pleased with the amount of time in the saddle that I did and the mixture training. Also I have some better ideas about the course even though I did it 2 years ago.

No comments: