Amazon Ad - Running

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Norwich Olympic Distance Triathlon - DNS

I had planned to do the Norwich Olympic Distance Triathlon on Sunday but instead DNS'd (Did Not Start) it.
I got up early to get to the venue and was their by an hour before the race start. The previous few days their had been some significant rainfall and the 30 minutes drive to the race was virtiually all in heavy rain. As I got to the race car park I noticed the marshals already looked like drowned rats. I parked my car and noticed I few other people sitting in the cars thinking about doing it. I waited 5 minutes to see if it would pass but it was still bouncing up of the car park, so I decided not to do this event.

I have done this race before and knew the first half of the cycle route is on small country lanes which where likely to already be flooded. I also did not fancy getting even more wet and cold after getting out of the lake and on to the bike. If my main race of the year was not Ironman UK I would have been tempted to do the race despite the conditions.

On the way back the rain did not stop until I was about 20 miles east of the race venue.

I have since seen from some race reports that the rain stopped about 5 minutes before the race start, typical. Also about 1/5 of people who entered did not do it, normally you would expect at most 10% fall out rate.

No comments: