Amazon Ad - Running

Thursday, July 26, 2007

A Long Training Run for Ironman

Yesterday I did my longest run of the year, a 16 mile run. Which now July is the month I have run the most miles this year.

This was to try and simulate how the run at the Ironman will feel like. The day before in the evening I had done 7 miles at a relatively fast pace, I then deliberately had less sleep by going to watch the simpsons movie at the first showing locally at 1 minute past midnight.

Then after work I did 6 miles at about 1 minute per mile slower than my 10km pace and then did another 10 mile run. All of this was in light rain but with no flooding on the roads.
For the last 8 miles my legs did feel heavy and I was doing 10 to 11 minute mile pace, however this did include a few walk breaks for drinks and gels.
The route did have a few hills and undulations which is similar to the run course. This felt tougher than previous marathons I have done and was good practice to get used to running in this state which will likely be even worse on the day but hopefully the weather will be better.

Also tried some new running kit for the first time which was fine. The trainers I had used for only the second time where ok for the whole run. After lacing them differently from the previous day as yesterday they had starting to make my feet sore after 5 miles.

No comments: