Amazon Ad - Running

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Long Run

Tonight I did a 16 mile (25.7 km) long run. This is the longest run I have done for over a month.

The run was in two parts with only a very brief gap just enough time to get another sports drink and gel.

The first part was a 10 mile (16 km) run at a slower pace and using the 5 minutes of running and then 1 minute of walking. This was fine and I was able to get past the sections with no street lights as it was getting dark but there was enough cars going past to light up the footpath (plus ditch to my right) as they went pass. I took an isotonic sports drink and two gels with me which was ok but I felt I did not get my nutrition right in the afternoon as I felt a bit hungry when I started. This run was based on a 8 mile route adding a few more loops in the town area which seemed ok.

The second part was 6 miles (9.7 km) with the running club. However for the first 2 miles we were going over 2 minutes quicker per mile than I was previously doing. This pace started to take affect when we got to the first incline of this section from then on wards I walked up most of each incline and took the pace down to an even slower pace than on the first part.

After reviewing the course choice I had made for the first section there was 7 noticable incline sections in the 10 miles plus another 2 in the second section. So no wonder my legs were aching.

It was a good training session although the pace was slow the amount of time on my feet was good. I should have kept with the same run/walk method all the way and at the same pace but was a good session to test running when my muscles are fatigued.

No comments: