Amazon Ad - Running

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Tale of Two Football Matches

At the weekend I was involved with two football matches both on hot days of 28c (82 F).

The first day was for a Guinness World Record endurance football match. They where planing to do 41 hours, I refereed for 2 hours 5 hours in to the event. It was on an astroturf pitch which made it a bit easier on the body but the heat and endurance element was already starting to show on the players. When I woke up the next morning I had a message that they had to stop the attempt due to the heat and injuries after 18 hours. That was quite impressive considering the conditions. That was 12 matches worth they had done.

Then the following day in the even hotter conditions I was an assistant referee in a regional cup final. Being the junior person I was on the far side which meant I was face the sun all the way through, I was glad I put on my factor 30 sun lotion and took an isotonic sports drink with me even though it got warm on the side. Typically in the conditions the game went to extra time but not penalties. At least I got 2 hours of exercise in the heat in instead of the planned longer time.

No comments: