Amazon Ad - Running

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Oxon 20

This event was a LDWA (Long Distance Walking Association) event which had two options of either 20 or 40 mile routes, I decided to do the 20 mile option. This was an off road event which you were required to follow navigation instructions to 4 checkpoints that were around the course. I joined a couple of runners who were also doing the 20 mile option. As a backup I had the route map on my GPS device, although this was the 40 mile route which was the same apart from an extra loop that the longer event did.

At each of the checkpoint you got your event card stamped and there was also food and drink which included homemade cakes.

There was quite of lot muddy sections including uphill sections. Also there was a few million of bluebells in bloom. We passed a number of walkers who had started a few hours earlier than the runners. It was harder than a normal running race as you had to also go over sty’s and varies gates so your pace changed quite often which was harder on your leg muscles.

The last few miles you ran along the River Thames and went past where the Henley regatta will be taking place. The marquees were being setup and there already was a number boats moored there for it.

At the end there was more food and drink available, although by this point the sun had got out and it was fairly warm 25c so I was more interested in getting some drinks.

On my GPS I made it just over 22 miles XC which I was pleased in getting this long run in 4 hours 27 minutes.

No comments: