Amazon Ad - Running

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Cross Country Race

I did a 5.6 mile cross country race this morning. I planned to go of faster than normal as there is a footpath only 2 people wide after the first 100m.

So at the start I ran off through the massive muddy puddle. I soon saw way most people ran round it as it was half way up to my knee, I was glad I double knotted my shoe laces.

I did however make up a lot of places but then a lot of people started to over take me. I did not have my heart rate monitor on, just the GPS part so as I completed the first mile in 6:50 (minutes:seconds) and my heart beating fast I knew I went off fast and slowed down by over 1 minute per mile. The pace of the first mile I would have beaten my 10km PB.

However I knew there where a few hills and muddy sections on this course that would slow you down. The last couple of miles my pace was struggling and I was just able to manage a good pace. Then with less than half a mile to go I noticed one of my club mates trying to catch me up, that gave me a boost for the rest the run.

There was about 10 runners grouped together which we had a bit of a sprint finish for the last 100m, with half of this small group going round the puddle but those who went through it finished ahead of those who did not.

I ended up with just over 45 minutes which I was pleased with this route and my early fast pace. I only had a select few cakes after the race compared to the previous XC.

No comments: