Amazon Ad - Running

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Weekly Update - Rest Week

This week I have done no training sessions. Although I have done some walking and and a bit of swimming with my nutrition being described as a "rest" week.

The walking was a for a total of about 8 miles (an educated guess) which this also include pushing my niece and nephew in a pram, so I got a bit extra resistance walking.

The swimming did include some open water and pool swimming. The open water swim was in the north sea which I did a few minutes of swimming, which was really cold as I only had my speedo's, googles and swimming cap. A tri suit and wet suit would have been really useful. The following day a few miles away the lifeguard station had the sea temperature as 8C (46F)!!!

Then the next day I went to a pool with my 2 year nephew, which we where in the shallow end with him trying to swim. That was until he saw the giant inflatable in the middle of the pool, it was 15m (49 ft) in a 25m (82 ft) pool and only about 1.5m (5 ft) wide. It was an floating assault course with things to go through, climb under and up with a slide in to the water at the end. It was not really designed for adults, so as my nephew went though I had to struggle to get through and stay on the floating device. Then their was a enclosed slide which we then had to go on before finishing in the pool. You don't normally see this swimming training for an Ironman!!
I was then able to do a handful of lengths before a swimming lesson started.

Nutritionally the few days after the Ironman I was fine which did seem to help my recovery. Then for the following 5 days or so while I was away on my brother stag do I was having various food such as chips, meat pie, gravy, chippy butty (actually in a roll up north), bacon, other fried food and ice-cream. To wash this down a number of different types of alcoholic drinks was used.

My endurance training and cycling knowledge did come in use for one of the days when we had a 30 minutes go-karting race which I finished 2nd out of 11 and beat both of my brothers. :-)

Despite the lack of training and not so nutritionally complete I only put on 1/4 lb (0.1 kg) this week but my % body fat did increase by 2.5%.

I will do a couple of training sessions in the next few days before a local sprint triathlon at the weekend.

No comments: